Skip to main content
Smith Libraries Exhibits

Cynthia S. Walsh: Manager after Marion Dodd

"William Allan Neilson," Smith College Ivy Day address by Cynthia Walsh, May 1939 (front cover)

 "William Allan Neilson," Smith College Ivy Day address by Cynthia Walsh, May 1939 (front cover) 

Cynthia Walsh (Class of 1939), 1939

Cynthia Walsh's Smith College yearbook photo, 1939 

Retirement announcement for Marion E. Dodd (Class of 1906) from The Hampshire Bookshop, to be succeeded as manager by Cynthia Walsh (Class of 1939), 1951

Announcement of Marion E. Dodd's retirement from The Hampshire Bookshop 

 

Cynthia Walsh graduated from Smith in 1939, and The Hampshire Bookshop published her Ivy Day oration (delivered the day before commencement ceremonies) about Smith president William Allan Neilson. Walsh worked for the Macmillan Publishing Co. in New York City until 1947, when she joined The Hampshire Bookshop staff.

 

 
 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 
 

Walsh was groomed to be Marion Dodd’s successor as manager. This transition was made official with a printed announcement in June 1951: Walsh became president and manager, and Dodd assumed the role of chairman of the Board of Directors. Aside from her duties at the bookstore, Walsh was active in the American Booksellers Association through the 1950s, and she chaired the Northampton Book Committee for the city’s tercentennial celebration in 1954. From 1966 until her death in 1967 she was a freelance editor at W.W. Norton Company in New York.

Cynthia Walsh (Class of 1939), when she was elected an officer in the Alumnae Association, 1955

Cynthia Walsh, 1955, when she was elected an officer in the Smith College Alumnae Assocation. Photograph by Eric Stahlberg.

Promotional letter from The Hampshire Bookshop to new students at Smith, early 1950s

Letter to incoming Smith College students from The Hampshire Bookshop, early 1950s

Walsh was among nearly two dozen Smith alumnae who were involved with the Hampshire Bookshop (as employees or on the Board of Directors), which resulted in a very close relationship with the College’s presidents, faculty, and students.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The promotional letter shown here was written in the early 1950s. It is addressed to new students at Smith, promoting the Bookshop, “founded by alumnae in 1916, and … still owned and managed by alumnae.”