Skip to main content
Smith Libraries Exhibits

The Bookshop & Its Staff

The Hampshire Bookshop storefront, 8 Crafts Avenue, Northampton, MA

Hampshire Bookshop storefront at 8 Crafts Avenue, Northampton, MA

The Hampshire Bookshop at 8 Crafts Avenue, its headquarters from 1923 until 1971, was a painted brick building with window boxes that were usually filled with red geraniums. The spacious store, occupying two floors, could serve a social purpose, more so than a college or public library or a less ambitious bookstore. Not just a commercial space, it served as a meeting place—literally and figuratively—for authors and readers.

Marion E. Dodd (center) and The Hampshire Bookshop staff, 1938

Hampshire Bookshop staff, 1938

Marion Dodd sits in the center, in front of the wooden mantel—the heart of the Bookshop—which she bought in Maine and refinished herself. Hester Hoffman sits to her right.

Marion E. Dodd in The Hampshire Bookshop with Folio the cat, 1931

Marion E. Dodd in The Hampshire Bookshop with Folio the cat, 1931

Gifts, cards, and stationery area of The Hampshire Bookshop, Northampton, MA

Gifts, cards, and stationery area of The Hampshire Bookshop

Oxford University Press corner at The Hampshire Bookshop

Oxford University Press corner at The Hampshire Bookshop

Window display at The Hampshire Bookshop during Northampton's tercentenary, 1954

Window display at The Hampshire Bookshop during Northampton's tercentenary, 1954

Children's department of The Hampshire Bookshop, Northampton, MA

Children's Department of The Hampshire Bookshop