The James Mandly Hills Wing and the new South Wing were opened in the fall of 1962. The completion of the building project was celebrated on October 19 with a ceremony in Wright Hall Auditorium, followed by a library “open house”.
In this photo, President Thomas C. Mendenhall is standing at the podium during the opening ceremony. Seated, left to right, are George Reaves of Turner Construction Company; Margaret Johnson, the College Librarian; Laura Hodgkinson, Chair of the Board of Trustees; Margaret Grierson, Executive Secretary of the Friends of the Library, College Archivist, and Head of the Sophia Smith Collection; and Walter H. Kilham, the architect from O’Connor & Kilham.
“First, ever since the first shelf of reference books materialized in College Hall, the Library has remained physically at the very center of the College – the traditional place for the heart of any living organism.”
~ Thomas C. Mendenhall, President of Smith College, 1959 to 1975