Construction began on the new wings in July 1961. Shown at the groundbreaking ceremony are, from left to right, George Reaves of Turner Construction Company, President Thomas Mendenhall, librarian Margaret Johnson, College treasurer William Bodden, and Howard Paul of Turner Construction Company.
These photographs show the progress of the buildings over the next year.
The advertisement shown here highlights Turner Construction Company’s projects at colleges and universities across the country, including the new Neilson Library addition. Turner had previously worked at Smith in 1957 when they built the Cutter and Ziskind student houses.