The Gymnasium and Hatfield House, c1891.

5361.jpg

Title

The Gymnasium and Hatfield House, c1891.

Subject

Smith College--History--Sources

Description

Shown in this photograph are the first Gymnasium and Hatfield House on the current site of Neilson Library. Before the library was completed in 1909, Hatfield House had to be moved to its present position on campus and the Gymnasium was moved across College Lane to serve as a shop for the Department of Buildings and Grounds. Later the Gymnasium was torn down when the College acquired the former McCallum Hosiery factory buildings for use as offices and shops.

Creator

Notman Photo. Co. Limited, Boston, MA

Publisher

College Archives, Smith College (Northampton, Massachusetts)

Date

c1891

Rights

Copyright unknown. For purposes of private study, scholarship, and research, you may print or download this content. Publication and/or broadcast in any form requires permission from the copyright holder (if any) and the Smith College Archives.

Relation

Is part of Smith College Buildings Records

Type

Still image

Identifier

5361

Original Format

Photographic print

Physical Dimensions

8 x 10 inches